Old 08-21-22, 08:40 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I change gearing / bikes depending on the terrain and facts and circumstances surrounding my planned or impromptu riding. I will continue to do this even as industry evolves and improves brakes and drive trains.

I use my Cervelo R5 with a 50/34 and 11/32 cassette for general purpose riding and training. I have 11 speed SRAM red electronic shifting and the combination is pretty sweet for most riding. There is a couple of shift points where I seem to be constantly shifting to find the right cadence. But that seems like a small compromise. I took this bike and gearing setup on a 42 day cycling tour of Croatia, Italy and Greece and the combination worked great for long climbs and punchy coast riding as well as longer flatter rides with the wind at my back.

If I am doing a hill climb race or just climbing, I may switch cassettes to get a particular rear cog that suits my fancy that is not on the 11/32.

My newer gravel / road bike with disc brakes is 1/11 48 chain ring with an 11/40. I changed the factory setup from a 46 to a 48 Chain ring for a higher top end and put on the smallest rear cassette that would work with the mountain derailleur. What is missing is a 12t cog in the rear cassette for road riding. Shifting is DuraAce electronic.

My time trial bike is set up with 54/39 and sometime 54/44 with an 11/23 rear cassette 10 speed manual DA. In general, the stock setup is good for flat to rolling time trials and training and the 39/23 low enough for shorter power climbs along the coast.

What I see in time trials and on the road is reconfigured gearing and the use of 1x with wide range cassettes. And I could use a bigger front chain ring for some time trial courses that feature faster downhill sections with slight downhill.

At the track, the trend for fixed gear is bigger gears and slower cadence. Yesterday, I was riding the track in a 52/13 approximately 106 gear inches. Everyone seems to be spinning slower and gearing bigger.

Personally, I like simplicity and dependable shifting when riding assuming I can get the cadence I want for the terrain. Electronic shifting plus wide range derailleurs seem to work. I like the 1x setup of my gravel bike but miss the 12t. I do not miss the triples. When they worked, they were amazing and when they went out of adjustment and failed to shift properly, I hated them. I still have one on my tandem and would like to change to electronic shifting with a double and wide range rear cassette.
Likes For Hermes: