View Single Post
Old 01-24-23, 07:04 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Please forgive me if this is not in the right forum, I know it's not really even 400Km but close.

I have signed up for the Mallorca 312. I am a reasonably strong enthusiast cyclist but have not ever ridden more than 180Km/115miles. Most of my Saturday rides are in the 60-100 mile range.

I have done lots of centuries (100 miles) and have felt strong at the end. I just did an 80 mile ride (5 hours) yesterday and felt FINE with it.

So in advance of the 312 at the end of April, I had planned to do at least a couple of long-ish rides of say 200-250Km.

However when I google "prepare for the 312" I see "expert coaches" state that training more than 5 hours in the saddle is not going to help with endurance and is only going to cause more fatigue.

I am still thinking I need a few longer rides if only to get my butt/back/body ready for a 14 hour ride.

Comments? Suggestions??
Doing something like Mallorca 312 or the Marmotte is a big commitment and bucket list type of ride. You can do it now. But I feel you think you are not fit enough to do it with the speed and level of enjoyment you wish.

I would recommend joining RUSA and in particular PaRando with March 4 200k brevet and April 1 300k brevet as interim training goals. The 200k and 300K both leave from Philly with moderate climbing, around 60'/mile vs 80 ft/mile on the Mallorca 312. I would then rest a couple days and resume your normal load and only taper 5 days, something like April 20-25 assuming your travel is within that window. I would be riding Thursday and Saturday at the minimum to keep the legs open for the main event on Sunday.
Likes For GhostRider62: