Old 01-29-23, 09:38 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
we have a 4 year old and an 11 year old.

there's a brief period at the beginning where i'd avoid any kind of cycling activity with the little one, and overall saddle time would be very limited. i wasn't seriously into cycling when our older daughter was born. but the younger one has been on a seat in the back of my commuter/errand bike for years, and the older one has been self propelled since long before her sister was born. we go almost everywhere on bikes, bikes+ferries, bikes+trains, etc.

as for my "solo" cycling, which takes far more hours and is probably what you're asking for, i try to squeeze in two or three 1-2 hour rides during the weekday, to or from work or if i can take a long lunch. on the weekend i get in one long ride, either saturday or sunday, while the kids have mom time. around 500 miles/month. i reciprocate with a block of dad time the other weekend day, usually with the three of us on bikes for an adventure. for weekdays, my rule is that it has to be roughly within extended business hours. i make the kids breakfast, get them to school, read stories at bedtime, but anything in between there is fair game.

the current debate is about whether the 11 year old should ride to school by herself. it's close, but very steep hills, and drivers of automobiles, well, we know how that goes. there are bike lanes, but none are separated by anything other than paint between here and her school.

on the solo ride side, communicate with your wife/partner. miserable people make miserable parents, so don't immediately assume it's just selfish for you to need a little time here or there. and once the little one is big enough, include them as much as possible! bikes and parenthood/childhood are super compatible, IMO.

Last edited by mschwett; 01-29-23 at 09:44 PM.