View Single Post
Old 10-22-18, 07:08 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Here's where I think it's personal to McKinnon and not a general "trans in cycling" issue.

Recall that McKinnon started her talk (that she linked to) by stating that she was "An academic, an athlete, and an activist."

I don't think McKinnon "loves track racing for the sake of track racing and just so happens to have stumbled upon a World Championship in the process." Fader touches on that. I think she sport-hopped (badminton, road cycling, track cycling, and maybe other sports) until she found a sport where she could excel "out of the box" and advance her activist goals and give academic talks about it. Please note what she did immediately after winning. She was in full "activist", "academic", and showboat mode when I would expect the "athlete" to simply relish the moment in a "Damn. I did it! This is unbelievable!" kind of way that happens to most when they win their first Nationals or World Championship.

I wonder if she simply did it for the publicity and not for the love of this sport. Could it have easily been Volleyball or Tennis? If so, it's a shame that the other competitors were part of the experiment.