View Single Post
Old 10-22-18, 04:49 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Here's where I think it's personal to McKinnon and not a general "trans in cycling" issue.

Recall that McKinnon started her talk (that she linked to) by stating that she was "An academic, an athlete, and an activist."

I don't think McKinnon "loves track racing for the sake of track racing and just so happens to have stumbled upon a World Championship in the process." Fader touches on that. I think she sport-hopped (badminton, road cycling, track cycling, and maybe other sports) until she found a sport where she could excel "out of the box" and advance her activist goals and give academic talks about it. Please note what she did immediately after winning. She was in full "activist", "academic", and showboat mode when I would expect the "athlete" to simply relish the moment in a "Damn. I did it! This is unbelievable!" kind of way that happens to most when they win their first Nationals or World Championship.
I was there when all of this took place at Carson. I had the same thoughts as I watched the spectacle unfurl. I just thought that "she just won a world championship! What is all this other stuff." Full disclosure, at the time of the event, I did not realize that McKinnon was SF. I say this because I do not like the entity that is SF on this forum, based on her past statements and verbal behavior. Now that I know that McKinnon and SF are the same person, her behavior after the WC no longer surprises me. That said, although I do not like the person, I don't have a problem with what or who she is, and don't have a problem with her participating in the race, because she competed in accordance with the rules.

Last edited by rensho3; 10-22-18 at 04:53 PM.