View Single Post
Old 08-16-21, 06:11 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I have used these rods and, while the repair is strong enough for some applications (rods like this are especially popular for HVAC refrigerant tube work), I would not trust it for a stem clamp..
If you are familiar with the stem, 1R, would you use it to "glue" the wedge back together?

I am not convinced that the broken parts of the stem contribute that much to the clamping force. What is critical in this design are the raised parts on both the bar and the stem. I have a few with one having a broken wedge. They all work well for me with the proper lube of the wedge ramp and associated parts. My favorite is the XA in terms of appearance. The 1A is just plain practical.

I am willing to be flamed here but I am trying out a 26 bar in a 26.4 1R. So far, so good in the testing. I tried to shim with beer can stock but it was too slippery. I have read all the warnings from all of you over multiple threads so you don't need to repeat how stupid I am to do this nor the consequences. I get it. The bar is about to be replaced anyway with a 65-40.

I have noticed that there is always a gap on the wedge side, even with the correct bar diameter. The diameter of the 1R is around 26.7 on the one stem I measured.