View Single Post
Old 08-16-21, 11:01 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
If you are familiar with the stem, 1R, would you use it to "glue" the wedge back together?
Yeah, I have a 1R in my bin of curiosities so I know how they go together. I think a crummy weld would be ok because the wedge is under compression. If you could get that rod to work, of course. Its performance is pretty dependent on the base metal you're welding, and we have no idea what exactly that wedge is made of. So, try it if you've got nothing to lose. I don't think it would cause a catastrophic failure of the wedge or loss of control of the bike. More likely, the wedge would crumble on tightening or gradually come loose, requiring more tightenings until it fails.