View Single Post
Old 09-18-22, 03:20 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
Years ago (in the 90's) I had to ride from Virginia Beach, Va to a place in Chesapeake Va., which required me to ride thru back-country roads in horse country. These roads were not lit...totally dark in the mornings (it was a 20-mile commute one-way, so I had to leave early).

I saw some weird stuff on those roads, granted some of it may have been my imagination. Once I rode up on a possum, thinking it was dead, I got right up on it and all of a sudden the thing jumped up and hissed at me...I almost lost my bodily functions. I've always wondered why it was playing dead, when I was the only one around and it would have seen me coming, their first instinct is to run off...

There was this one section, near a house all by itself, set a couple hundred feet off the road. Every so often a huge dog would start barking at me and chasing me and all I had was a cheap headlight, which could barely illuminate the road 5-feet ahead of my front wheel. On a few occasions I could feel the dog literally breathing on the back of my leg as it was going for my foot. I don't know what kind of dog that was, but I always pictured a huge wolf.

I never saw/heard it as I would come home in the light of the evenings. I use to dread riding down that section...