Old 02-18-21, 08:31 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I use dual sided mountain bike clipless pedals. I use the same pedals off-road during the summer with different shoes and have never had a problem getting a foot down when needed.

When I ride in snow and ice, I keep my foot attached to the pedal and resist the urge to put down a foot just as I resist the urge to “catch myself” in a crash. In neither situation is putting out a hand or foot going to help and are likely to result in a far more serious injury. I’ve learned this the hard way. I was shortcutting through a skate park with snow on it once when I pulled my foot out of my pedal to “catch myself”. I didn’t realized the surface on skate parks are glazed and the bike went one way while my leg went the other. I strained my hamstring and was off the bike for a couple of weeks. This was the day after being cleared to ride following a broken ankle and surgery to remove old hardware.

At least it wasn’t as bad as what happened to a mechanic at my local co-op. He slide on ice while commuting to work. He put his foot out to “catch” him, hit dry pavement while sliding, and folded his lower leg to a 90° angle in the wrong direction...not that there is a “right” direction to fold your leg. He was in traction for 2 weeks, endured multiple surgeries...including one to fix a secondary infection...and spent 9 months off his bike. Had he just ridden the bike down, he would have had some bruises.
Yikes, that's incentive to not put my leg down, will try and remember that. I also found the snow on bottom of my shoes made for lousy grip on the flat pedals and slipped off easily. I'm a road cyclist so all my pedals and shoes are Shimano SPD but would not want those on a bike riding in the show. I definitely want something I can clip out of with little effort.