JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Flat bars it is!

It sorta looks like an overgrown bmx cruiser, but I was able to build it with the parts I had and take it on a good shakedown ride. I think it’s a keeper! I haven’t ridden an aluminum frame in a long time, but I think it rides really nicely. It is a “soft tail” after all.

Dropped by my favorite co-op and found some cool bits. An NOS Project 2 cx fork with uncut steerer, and a pair of 700x40 Kenda Flintridge Pro tires. The frame calls for a 400 mm axle to crown, and the project 2 is just that. The boat anchor that came on the bike is closer to 410. I don’t really like the looks of the skinny, straight legs of the Kona, but it’s a pound lighter, and has fender eyelets, so it’ll work!

Speaking of fenders, that’s another thing I’m excited about. With the long top tube, I might actually get some fenders on here without a ton of toe overlap. It’ll be a tight squeeze with the big tires, but maybe some 38’s will make it work.

Another tight spot back here. Probably why this thing does good wheelies! This is the only fd setup that would work: top pull, high clamp. Might be a good argument for a 1X setup if I’m gonna get a fender in there.

Anyways, I’ll get some drop bars back on here once I sort out the drivetrain and stem, but for now, it’s a fun ride.