Old 07-06-20, 11:18 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtydozen
Last 2 rides I tried a new way to ride and i got 0 dangerous situation, well 1 but I wasn't applying my new "trick".

I rode with 70 centimeters to my right, when a car passes I go as close as possible to the right side of the road. Driver already picked his trajectory, so I get an extra 70centimeters on whatever space he would have left me.

Works like a charm for the moment.
I find this technique to be generally effective (though I prefer to have considerably more than 70 cm).

However, one thing you really need to watch out for is people waiting too long before passing you -- i.e. they pull out at the last second, the people tailgating them don't see you until even later, and someone a few vehicles back passes really close (especially if pulling a trailer).

My goto technique is to ride smack in the middle of the lane. Keep an eye on the mirror. If they slow down or shift even a tiny bit, they won't hit you. Hold your line. Don't even think of shifting right until they're within 2 seconds behind you. Vehicles tend to follow whatever is in front of them, so if you can push the vehicle out, others will follow even if they don't see you. Extend a friendly wave if they give any clearance when they're still 1/2 second behind. Drivers like when cyclists know what's going on around them, even more so if you help them get by. Done right, even though you slowed them down, you can make a lot of them feel good about the encounter which sets you up for the future.

You will probably find that your treatment improves considerably after a few months and people get used to you.