Old 07-13-20, 02:27 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
I rarely get hit by a car in Zwift.
I say this in jest, and I know my post isn't an answer to your question, but I thought I'd just throw my 2 cents in.
You won't always be strapped for cash, and when you can afford it, you can significantly decrease your level of risk by incorporating an indoor trainer.
I know it's not as fun, but if you can split your riding between indoor and outdoors, then it goes to reason that you cut your risk of getting hit by a car in half (I have a 5 year old, and knowing this does make me feel a little better).
There are other advantages to incorporating an indoor trainer (listen to music, watch a show, ride when the weather doesn't allow it, don't have to worry about flats...)
In the end, you don't really have a chance against a distracted driver. You can do some things, but how marginal are those decisions to the grand scheme of risk?
That being said, I have noticed that drivers tend to notice me more when I have a flashing front light (i.e. I notice more eye contact when someone is in front of me getting ready to turn onto the street I'm on).
If this is the case, I'm sure it also helps for the light behind me.
I also ride farther to the right when there is room to bail out on the right (I can't really see the downside to that). When there is no room to bail out, I do ride a little more to the left.