J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by hfbill
I lived in Underhill VT for 4 years and found the natives there (AKA Rednecks) to be among the most hostile towards cyclists I've experienced anywhere. Beautiful roads and scenery though. Good brewpubs too!
Interesting. I've cycled a little bit of everywhere in New England and never experienced hostility. Maybe I'm lucky. Perhaps all states need to adopt the lane change for cyclists law and that may help.

Originally Posted by reppans
Gonna follow this thread - would love to find a similar mix of food, islands, ocean beaches, fresh water swimming ponds, hamlet towns, and dedicated bike paths as good as the Cape's.

Maybe Acadia NP carriage trails, Bar Harbor, Desert Island?
I was born and raised there. Summer traffic and crowds were always the bane of residents, in particular those who's livelihood didn't depend on the summer tourism trade. The wife and I went back this past summer to visit relatives and stay a bit and act as tourists. It was a horrorshow. In addition to the overwhelming masses of people using it as a summer destination, cruise ships now anchor in the harbor to shuttle thousands of passengers ashore. The carriage roads and trails are jammed. A trip to the top of Cadillac Mt. is a real screamer. Better have a reservation ANYWHERE, because wait lines are usually 1-2 hours. Like shopping? Every shop is crammed. Its a wait for someone in front of you, and you better decide what you need quick because there are ten people behind you.

I wouldn't move back there if I won the lottery, and if it wasn't for family, I'd never go back.

Last edited by J.Higgins; 03-08-17 at 11:58 AM.