holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
DreamRider85 I've been using a Take-a-Look glasses mounted mirrors for years and years in conjunction with a bar-end mirror. It is the ability to turn my head and get a sweeping view of what's behind me that makes this mirror so useful to me.

I set mine at a diagonal so that it makes a diamond with a point at the top. I feel like it gives me a wider view behind me. I try to get a sliver of my ear in the corner. The center of the mirror then seems to be aimed at where the lane I'm in and the lane to my left converge a ways back. The diamond shape avoids filling the mirror with my shoulder. With this set up just a small head tilt lets me see directly behind me or just a little more lets me see the lane to my right. I, myself don't have the issue of turning in the direction I swivel my head, but I ride leaning forward on drop-bars in a more road-bike position.

However, sitting upright and gripping the sides of the laptop I'm typing on, when I turn my head I feel my shoulders and arms get pulled in the direction I'm looking. So I'm guessing you may ride more upright, and you may be using a larger, round, slightly convex mirror than my short-arm version of the flat, glasses mount take-a-look mirror. I've tried others brands, sizes and mounts, but the Take-A-look short arm works best for me..."Your Mileage May Vary".

Since you are aware of the turning issue you can practice to avoid it. Just as it probably took a few rides to get used to looking up into your helmet mirror, you can practice putting slight pressure on your handlebars in the opposite direction you are turning your head....slight pressure. You may even want to practice this in a parking lot or field away from traffic.

I know Jim from Boston rides with glasses mounted mirrors on both sides which may obviate the need to turn one's head as much. I'm still good with just one, but recent x-rays show arthritis on my horizon (or more accurately on my neck), so I may end up with dual mirrors eventually.

Here's me and my mirror, stopping to pick up a beer from a local brewery located in an old church on my ride home a couple of days ago.

cool bike