Old 10-29-20, 10:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
For those of you in Texas: Though there is an effort underway to change the law (which I support), I understand that if you are riding on a crosswalk (as in this video) and are hit, the driver cannot be charged. They can only be charged if you are a pedestrian.

Dunno what the law is in CO.

Even if this happened in TX, it would still be a hit-and-run as there was failure to notify and render aid. (I had to look it up.)

From the Texas Transportation Code: SUBCHAPTER B. DUTIES FOLLOWING ACCIDENT Sec. 550.021. ACCIDENT INVOLVING PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.

(a) The operator of a vehicle involved in an accident that results or is reasonably likely to result in injury to or death of a person shall:

(1) immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close to the scene as possible;

(2) immediately return to the scene of the accident if the vehicle is not stopped at the scene of the accident;

(3) immediately determine whether a person is involved in the accident, and if a person is involved in the accident, whether that person requires aid; and

(4) remain at the scene of the accident until the operator complies with the requirements of Section 550.023. (DUTY TO GIVE INFORMATION AND RENDER AID)
Colorado is definitely not Texas.

No law against riding in crosswalks in Colorado statutory law or Aurora ordinances. Colorado statute reads:
  1. A person riding a bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle upon and along a sidewalk or pathway or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give an audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrian. A person riding a bicycle in a crosswalk shall do so in a manner that is safe for pedestrians.
  2. A person shall not ride a bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle upon and along a sidewalk or pathway or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk where such use of bicycles or electrical assisted bicycles is prohibited by official traffic control devices or local ordinances. A person riding a bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle shall dismount before entering any crosswalk where required by official traffic control devices or local ordinances.
  3. A person riding or walking a bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle upon and along a sidewalk or pathway or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk shall have all the rights and duties applicable to a pedestrian under the same circumstances, including, but not limited to, the rights and duties granted and required by section 42-4-802.
Note that 3 above means that the person riding the bicycle along a crosswalk has the same rights against being hit by a car as a pedestrian.

As there is no ordinance in Aurora forbidding bikes in crosswalks (I checked), it doesn't appear that #2 applies unless there was a sign indicating no bikes in that particular crosswalk. I seriously doubt that was the case.