View Single Post
Old 08-16-19, 07:44 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Both of those fonts are before my time, but I love the air-conditioner/wet noodle font. Wouldn't you know, the one bike it wasn't used on...was the Paramount

Absolute power to you if you plan to go with the noodle scheme. It'd be really cool to see one of these '80s models done up with the early-1960's Superior decals - though I'd definitely go with the Olympic seat mast decal over the chrome mast on those.

1983 was a real "one-off" type year. Everything looked a little different, and that's got to be part of the mystique around the 1983 Superiors too. It's not like they were significantly different, but they're such a departure from the '81/82s - within the subset of a rather special, nostalgia-laden model to begin with - that they're a sight to see when they do show up.
You’re right on with the 1983 bikes. I think one of the coolest Paramount logos is the “starburst flag” logo- Like on the Edward Schwinn Paramount.

My father in law has a 92-ish Schwinn Criss Cross. I’ve toyed around with the idea of painting it Brewster Green and going all A/C font, Schwinn quality cross, and starbursts on it. Maybe throw on a ‘hat in the ring’ And conveniently leave off the “Criss Cross” name. The CC is a cool/nifty bike hampered by a crummy name and lower end components (and a unicrown fork); it would be a pretty slick bike. But not as cool as a Superior.

The Superior is a dominant bike and because it’s less well known- you can go bonkers on it and it’ll be just *slightly* more unique than a stock one!
Likes For The Golden Boy: