View Single Post
Old 11-02-20, 04:20 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
This is a hitch I made years ago. It's a bit crude but works OK, never had any problems.
Thanks for the pictures.

It looks like the part I am looking for is called a "heim joint". Below is a link to an example. I will dig around and see if I can find less expensive option. I suppose at the start it doesn't necessarily need to be that, but I think it is a good solution. Stainless so the joint doesnt seize with rust (plus keep it lubricated).

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/FK-Ro...int,81626.html

I like the Bikes At Work framing with the aluminum C channel construction. The trailer in the following link is similar in design - C channel - and welded. I think that is what I want to do for the base. I like the front and rear C channel members, as opposed to the rectangular tubing of the Bikes At Work designs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monkey...7617446793100/

The electrodes I have, and can get pretty easy, for aluminum are Crown Alloys Royal 300. I contacted Crown to find what grades the rods work best with and they are confident in them with any "weldable" aluminum (that is a weird term because aluminum is a weird metal - there are some aluminums that just plain cant be welded with any conventional process). That having been said - there is a place around here a buddy of mine gets alloys from. I will come up with a rough design then check with them and see what I can source and pricing. I know my buddy gets small quantities of bars, billets, and sheet/plate of various aluminums so I would think more structural stuff would be pretty easy to get. I'm thinking 6061-T6, but that will depend on pricing and if there is an adequate C channel extrusion in that grade. 6061-T6 is plenty weldable.

The other option is chromoly steel, though that would boost the weight a bit I think.

As for the cargo box - I am not real sure how to do that. I had the thought of using Coroplast. However, it would need angle alum or steel on the edges for strength and protection. At that rate it might work out to use sheet alum if I can get it for a decent price. With the flat C channel frame having a base for the box would be pretty easy. Bolting the box to the frame would make it easy to remove the box and turn it in to a deck/flatbed cargo trailer also.