View Single Post
Old 08-25-21, 09:22 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
All,

One major issue I found with this one is the pressure rating on the tires (16") is only 35psi. That is way too soft - I can feel the resistance of the trailer back there more than I'd like, even with what I would consider as a "light" load, compared to what I toured with last fall.

Another issue, that I am not sure is much of an issue in the bigger picture of "touring", is the width of the trailer. My riding partner doesn't like the trailer because when trying to ride next to each other down the trail the trailer gets too close to them. I have tried to be conscious about it and keep to the far side of a trail, but it is hard to do. Riding solo this wouldn't be an issue - but it gets back to my earlier concern about the overall width of the rig going down the trail when they get congested.

Another interesting aspect of this trailer is the "hitch" is a coupler on a spring. I am not sure if it is the trailer itself, and the weight/loading from it, or if it is the spring - but I can feel the surging of the trailer over bumps and rough terrain. It reminds me of pulling a 2 car gooseneck trailer with a 1 ton pickup years ago. The loaded trailer would make the truck surge forwards and backwards over bumpy roads.

Can anyone comment on the surging? Those of you that have rigid hitches - do you still notice said "surging"? Is hitch position - either side of the rear axle or seat post - a factor in "surging"? I am assuming having the hitch on the seat post would be more of an issue - there is more distance between both the hitch and trailer and hitch height above ground for the surging to have leverage against the bike's balance. Does that theory hold true in practice? Or is that over-thinking it?

As far as the wheels go - I may get some better tires that I can air up to 50psi or so to drop the rolling resistance.
Schwalbe Marathon Green Guard tires are available in 16x1.75 50-70psi. Price in the US kinda eye watering but can be found either at Bike24 or BikeInn for cheap, just that shipping is around $20 a pair. But two pairs ship the same price and it makes sense always to have spares anyway.

And yeah, I’ve felt surging on my old Burley Nomad with a rigid hitch. Might have been that the trailer was over loaded, not sure. Nice thing about that model, it’s only 19” wide. So when once everything on mine was shot except for the wheel/axle tie rod assembly and tow arm, was able to transfer those to a lightweight wood frame made from poplar dowels and 1/4” maple plywood that I waterproofed with a couple coats of oil based ebony stain, one of aluminum paint, and finished with black polyurethane. Bolted a 35G Action Packer to the ply so no need for rails or any other external support.

Wike makes DIY flatbed trailers that can be built up to any dimensions within reason.