View Single Post
Old 11-12-19, 09:13 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I've seen these many years ago, though my memory is vague.. I'm not sure that they were conversions back then, though. Rather the frames were intentionally designed with bosses to fit. Sort of a precursor to cantilevers.
It's unclear whether centerpulls or cantilever brakes came first. @T-Mar has done a little research and has found examples of both from the late 1800s. Part of the answer depends on how you define "cantilever" and "centerpull".

Any centerpull brakes utilizing the braze-on studs, regardless if Universal, MAFAC, Dia Compe, etc... require a specific mounting stud placement on the fork and frame, above the wheel. The studs are shorter and a different diameter than cantilever studs (except when using Paul centerpulls, which use standard cantilever studs). When I said "conversion" above, I mean replacing the hardware at the pivots in the brake calipers such that they can fit and pivot around braze-on studs instead of pivoting independently from the frame (as they do when mounted via one central bolt). I didn't mean converting a frame/fork.

Braze-on centerpulls were a popular option on custom and semi-custom frame in France for many decades, and even some production frames, such as Meral and I believe a couple of high-end Peugeot bikes built under contract by smaller builders. They generally use MAFAC brakes, though. I haven't seen Universal centerpulls being used, but I'm sure it's possible with the right pivot hardware.

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 11-12-19 at 09:18 AM.
Likes For TenGrainBread: