View Single Post
Old 04-21-20, 05:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Looking for contradictory opinions here.. After a long discussion with co workers, it seems to me that "flattening the curve" doesn't actually limit the number of people who get the disease, but rather just lengthens out the time it takes for that number to actually get it. Obviously this is not justification for why anyone should go out and do group activities, but it seems to be that it is almost inevitable for many people that they will get sick. The social distancing and such is to limit the sharp peak that would overwhelm our hospitals and medical ability.

I guess the best way to imagine what I'm trying to say is that the integral of the flattened curve and the non-flattened curve is the same, but the derivative over the curve is obviously wildly different.
That's how I understand it. I think that social distancing does also limit the number of infections, but that's a secondary effect. The most important thing is to spread them out over a longer time period.