Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
This is disturbing. My hip is better. It is disturbing because I am traveling and it is better after 3 days off the bike. I do not want the solution to this issue to be less biking.

I am visiting family in TX. and my brother has set up an indoor golf range (mat, net, and ball sensor that outputs distance, direction, etc). I took 10 half swings without pain where earlier I could not even make a single backswing. We will see but this would not be the answer I am hoping for.

dave
Trying to be analytical . . . Let us suppose that you have an injury of some sort, say a tear. You've rested it, and it's begun to heal. You took some golf swings, and it was healed enough to withstand them. However on the bike it presents as an RSI. That all makes sense. The partially healed injury is damaged when it's subjected to thousands of small stresses, while a few stronger stresses weren't enough to damage it. I think the message is to continue to rest it. Then the issue becomes when does one know it's OK to resume activity - like riding? I'm no doctor and don't know the theory of healing muscle tears, but it seems to me that there's going to be a period of rest, followed by a period of strength training. I just have no idea of what defines the junction between those periods. So ask. My further guess is that cycling will not be helpful because it doesn't place the exact correct stress necessary for best healing performance. This stuff is complicated.

Here's an interesting link which talks about rehabbing a torn gluteus medius, but also talks about how a weak medius can contribute to patellofemoral syndrome, a connection I hadn't heard of before.
https://www.medbridgeeducation.com/b...luteus-medius/
And another article on exercises:
https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/...s-medius-tears