View Single Post
Old 07-14-22, 04:09 PM
mtbvfr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
You talk about being 'Aero', so I'm assuming a more 'road/old-school XC race' position; not the modern ALL TRAIL position. Low/No lug tires also seem to indicate that...
I won;t question your measurements - and also assume the differences between legs is accurate.

FInally - try moving your saddle UP 3-4mm, don;t change setback yet. see if that gives a better balance of power for leg extension and reduces the need to 'push' forward on hard efforts.
it is a 'compromise' - there is no one position cures all

... as for the adjustment of your torso and hand position - that's up to what you want and how it works... again, there is no ONE fit which cures all.
I like a hand position which allows me to tuck my elbows in more, less outward bracing, so more back sweep works for me - but then I don;t really bomb knarly DH, Enduro type riding.
I'm old and break easily - tired of being in constant 'injury recovery mode' - so cautious when it gets really hairy. LOL!
Ride On Yuri
Hi Yuri,

Thanks for the detailed response.

I will pay attention to your thoughts about cadence at different gear ratios and see whether my butt is moving forward under higher cadences or lower cadences. Current cassette is using 8 cogs (12-32) from a 9-speed cassette on a 7-speed hub. Chainrings are 20-34-46. Next step will be to use 9 cogs from a 10-speed casssette. There's a change of about 10 rpm between cogs which may be better managed when I can get around to swapping the 34t chainring for a 36t and then shift between the 2 outer chainrings in the opposite direction to shifts on the cassette to maintain optimum cadence. I like it between 90 - 95 mostly.

I use the tyres, you see, on both asphalt and gravel with allowances for lack of grip in the corners on the gravel.

Measurements were taken by Andrew Pruitt in Denver in 1994 but the solution he offered never worked for me. Changing to unequal and longer cranks back in 2009 helped rather significantly.

I just recently dropped the saddle about 2.5-3 mm and that actually improved things. I noticed I was spinning more easily and I was moving my butt back less often. I'm going to try dropping it another 2mm.

Understand about the injuries; wearing a shoulder brace for the right shoulder and elbow guards.

Will report back another day.

Keep the rubber side down, MTB.

Last edited by mtbvfr; 07-14-22 at 05:57 PM. Reason: grammar
Likes For mtbvfr: