Old 08-21-17, 09:10 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert P
Or do you only stop at intersections if you perceive there's a reason to - i.e. traffic dictates it - and otherwise blow through red lights and stop signs?
Stops, the amount I'll slow down depends if it's a two or three/four way stops. For a two way stop, I'll stop to an almost dead stop since I often can't see enough to know if cars are near. On three/four way stops, if I'm already going slow (less than 15 km/h), I'll stop pedaling, look all around as I approach the intersection and up to the intersection, if no cars, I resume pedaling, otherwise I'll keep slowing down so they know I'm giving them the right of way (may be a go ahead gesture if they don't get the hint) then proceed if it's clear. If I'm going faster, I'll slow down to at least 15 km/h, cross the street as above then get back to my previous speed, often by raising from the saddle.

Red lights, I stop, no matter what. Stops are for non busy intersection, lights are for busier so I don't mess with them.

Btw, if it's a two way stops and I don't have the stop, if traffic allows it (ie, no traffic), I'll move to the center of the line so cars having the stop sign will see me better. Like cyclists, often drivers do not fully stops at stop signs so making myself visible where they look for traffics gives me a better chance at not getting hit.