rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
I've long been bent-curious and recently taken the plunge into riding some of these bikes. One thing that I knew about, but didn't know just what a nuisance it would be is not being able to hop or lift the wheels over road obstacles. I can avoid potholes (usually) but on the roads and trails I ride, there are several bridges and RR tracks to cross. The bridges on the bike path seem the worst with some of the crossings having a 1" or 1.5" step up onto the bridge. On an upright bike, these are no issue to take at speed (in some cases 20+mph) and scarcely a hindrance, only missing a pedal stroke or two. On the 'bent, they give me pause. So far I have just kept my tire pressure on the high side, favored the largest tires I can run and slowed down for these obstacles. I have tried leaning my shoulders against the backrest to lift my butt out of the seat, but that doesn't seem to do that much. Is there a better way to deal with these road hazards? Slowing down especially is fairly anathema but I don't have a better solution yet. Any suggestions?
Simply pay attention to where you are riding. And-------------------I agree about the mis match of road or trails on to a bridge. Some how road builders cant seem to make an approach that is smooth last. Apparently they dont pay enough attention to compacting the dirt and underlayment right where you go onto the bridge proper.