Old 06-29-21, 12:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Whatever he did, it wasn't goalpost shifting. He never laid out a goal, and I didn't read his 1% figure to be any serious kind of estimate. All he did was pick a really small number and then said the number you found was also small. There's nothing unfair about saying 5X a really small number is still a small number.

To be honest, I have no dog in this fight as I think it perfectly rational for one person to say 5% is important for his purposes and another to say it isn't important for his own purposes. I just don't think it's fair to call something that's so obviously not goalpost shifting "goalpost shifting".

You can disagree whether 5% is or isn't a small number. Hell if I have much of an opinion about it either way. I just hate downtube shifters.
Fair. I just get mildly annoyed at the repeated threads where the OP either implies or declares that you need to be a racer to care about improvements in technology that have made bikes go faster, or stop better, or be lighter, as if the only people who want to go really fast are racers.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: