View Single Post
Old 08-24-21, 08:53 PM
sewupnut

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Gravel bike? Cyclocross bike? Vintage Mtn Bike?

Originally Posted by TheZip
What am I missing about riding drop bars on gravel? Is it just me or does it just seem like a novelty? It's like it's some new found invention to have clearance for wider tires with a bit of a knob on them... I have a road bike and then I have an older XC Mountain bike. The XC bike has nice knobby tires that rides great on rougher gravely roads and smaller diameter, more efficient tires are just a swap away if needed. It is a rigid frame, so it's very light. The handle bars are wider and more stable, and the gearing goes way lower if things become more of a slog fest. I just can't seem to see where a "gravel bike" would be advantageous.
Sort of agree. Same principal as with 27.5" and even 29". To sell more bikes. Suspect I could out-gravel "gravelers" with any moderately price cross bike or vintage mountain bike. Have held my own with these guys riding my old '86 Stump Jumper. And a lot more comfortable on that 35 yo Brooks Saddle . In the olden days did many gravel/dirt roads on a touring bike and sometimes on sewups, But if you want to spend your money... Keep in mind, this is just one opinion of one eccentric biker.