View Single Post
Old 08-29-21, 12:28 PM
imcorn

Bikes: '83 Specialized Expedition, '87 Ritchey Ultra, '88 Ritchey Ascent Comp, '89 GT Avalanche, '90 Bianchi Equinox, '90 Bianchi Project 5, '90 Trek 950, '90 Miyata TripleCross, '95 Kona Explosif, '09 Alan Wanta

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Ishamael
My 198(x?) Kuwahara Apollo. Got it in the spring and have only just recently gotten it into a more or less ridable state. It was pretty beat up. Still needs a bit of work, but didn't want to invest too much into it until I decide what I want to do with it. I had bought it with the intent of converting it to a gravel style bike - adding drop bars, updating the drive train - but I'm not 100% sure if I'll go down the route..I'm really liking the Suntour Power Shifter levers. Friction shifting has never felt so good.

In the meantime, it'll serve as my daily rider while I shift my focus to fixing up my road bike. Probably the only things I'll do short term are:
  • get a slightly longer seat post - the one it came with was pretty short, I stole the one in the picture from my road bike. I could use another inch I think
  • try and source some shorter straddle cables. The brakes are dia-compe and take the double ended cables. The readily available Jagwire ones are way to long. I can make it work on the front, but the back is iffy - using the old cable right now, but it's not in great shape. I was able to find a company in the US that has some, but they charge $30 USD to ship them to Canada. If anyone knows a Canadian source for these, that would be appreciated.

This might serve as a temporary solution for you as tracking down NOS cables can some times be troublesome. I haven't used them personally, but I did find them intriguing. I saw someone else mention these on one of the FB vintage MTB groups.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25494043635...kAAOxyOM5RayQF