Old 07-01-22, 12:30 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Yes, Andy, good catch, they are Paul’s!!! My bad!!
Rats! You had me almost drooling. I don't know the popsicle trick but that is about the toe-in I shoot for.

OP, are you using Koolstop pads? If not, try them. Not magic but a very good compromise between squeal and stopping power. Most of my brakes (of at least 4 different types) are silent.

One trick to silencing squeal is to use it all up. Doesn't always work and will scare animals, irritate people and raise the dead in the process. Find a long steep hill. Go down; braking continuously at max volume. Often (but sadly not always) the squeal will be far more manageable afterwards. Andrew, I like the dirt trick. I have a rim that I contaminated the sidewall of mounting a sewup. Three rounds of lacquer thinner, Simple Green and a very good rinse haven't silenced it. (Rear. Grabs badly with oscillating noise to boot. The big downhill helped a lot but it's still a college football game; down from a rock concert.)