Old 07-01-22, 05:40 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Rats! You had me almost drooling. I don't know the popsicle trick but that is about the toe-in I shoot for.

OP, are you using Koolstop pads? If not, try them. Not magic but a very good compromise between squeal and stopping power. Most of my brakes (of at least 4 different types) are silent.

One trick to silencing squeal is to use it all up. Doesn't always work and will scare animals, irritate people and raise the dead in the process. Find a long steep hill. Go down; braking continuously at max volume. Often (but sadly not always) the squeal will be far more manageable afterwards. Andrew, I like the dirt trick. I have a rim that I contaminated the sidewall of mounting a sewup. Three rounds of lacquer thinner, Simple Green and a very good rinse haven't silenced it. (Rear. Grabs badly with oscillating noise to boot. The big downhill helped a lot but it's still a college football game; down from a rock concert.)
Mooney, sorry to get you so excited and over the moon (lol!). My mistake, they are Paul's cantilevers, the ones with the "low profile" shape, that don't stick out too far. I just sent a note to the Mods requesting help and promising good behavior.