View Single Post
Old 09-19-22, 10:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
This was my last RAGBRAI as part of the youth mentorship program I have helped run and been part of for the last 7 years. It was bittersweet- I got to ride a few days with some of the older teens I have spent so many training rides with thru the years and it was definitely special.

The weather was incredible, the century day couldnt have had an easier route or better wind, and there was more to do along the route compared to last year(coming off the covid cancelled year). Participation was excellent all week long- thousands and thousands of your closest strangers to ride alongside.
For those who dislike crowds, the pass thru towns can be crowded at times, but the riding is largely unimpeded. And overnight towns can be crowded, since RAGBRAI quadruples a town's population for some of the smaller overnight locations, but the main campground is typically relatively quiet and chill.

RAGBRAI is as interactive as you want to make it. You can go solo and not talk to anyone or you can get hammered and be the life of the party in every pass thru town. Its all up to you. There is no right or wrong way to do RAGBRAI as it welcomes all.

Next year I plan to ride a few days with one of my kids and a few of the kids from the mentorship program who just left for college. Itll be a bit different and I really look forward to that too!
Likes For mstateglfr: