Old 02-14-24, 09:28 PM
Andrew_G 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BertoBerg
Hello All- I'm looking for a favor. Would anyone with a Maillard 700 Compact 7-speed freewheel be able to measure the overall width? Thanks!
I don't have a Maillard 700 compact 7 freewheel, but I did measure two brand new Sachs Aris 7 speed freewheels (gold cogs). I put each freewheel face up on a table, and measured the height top to bottom. I get about 35.5 - 35.6mm. The inner (fixed) part of the freewheel is recessed on the back face's flange by about 1.1mm. So, I'd count the effective installation width as around 34.5mm.

I have a similar but older Sachs 7 freewheel with all gray cogs. I use an 8 speed Wipperman chain (804 or 808) with either 7 or 8 speed freewheels. When the Sachs 7 FW is installed on a Campy NR hub spaced to 130mm, I get about 3mm of clearance between the outer face of the chain and the inside face of the right dropout. My NR hub is using the standard 8mm thick locknuts (Campy part 33/8) on both left and right sides. If I installed a thinner 33/6 locknut on the left side, and added additional spacers on the right, I could fit an 8 speed freewheel in a 130mm rear end. I did that years ago, as I recall, but I haven't tried it lately.

I'll add that the 33/6 thinner locknut (which looks very similar to the standard 33/8 part) was probably added (my opinion) to the Campy catalog to accomodate wider freewheels. As such, it's a likely useful item to have to fit a 7 speed freewheel into a 126/127mm rear end. Distributor Euro-Asia still shows the part listed on their website:
https://www.euroasiaimports.com/prod...-966p21985.htm

Last edited by Andrew_G; 02-14-24 at 10:46 PM.
Likes For Andrew_G: