View Single Post
Old 01-14-22, 08:14 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by ericoseveins
Out of curiosity, it seems like more e-bike companies are using 13 gauge spokes on their wheels and I'm wondering what the motivation is there. A friend at the bike co-op who has a mobile repair business was telling me that they were finding it really difficult to source 13 gauge spokes for e-bike-riding customers, and I would have thought that a wheel with well-tensioned 14 gauge spokes would be more than adequate to handle the torque from a motor that's situated at the bottom bracket like a Bosch. Is there a spoke stress issue that's markedly more pronounced with motors located at the hub? Or maybe a liability-driven trend where the e-bike makers are anticipating their consumers won't be likely to commit to regular maintenance or something?
I’d say it’s a ride style thing.
There’s something about ebike riding that can seduce the rider into sitting like a deadweight in the saddle, something which rarely happens when entirely under human power.
So perhaps that’s what manufacturers have discovered, and is why they go to a semi-moped style wheel spec.