View Single Post
Old 06-24-21, 06:27 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
So, about the crash - what descent was it? What happened? Come into a turn too hot and slide out?

The thing about road bikes vs hybrids is that road bikes are built to be stable at speed, whereas hybrids are meant to be comfortable. You may be able to keep up with the ride on the flat on a hybrid - especially if you're drafting them - because that's just a question of legs and gears. The descent is where the road bike will be faster, because it's more stable.
Page mill road... first time descending it. I had heard it was technical and had been deliberately avoiding it because I was worried this would happen. The bike isn't the issue so much as the handler, I just am not good at cornering. I guess I entered the corner too fast but it was weird, I like couldn't turn and kinda froze up and hit the brakes. ended up hitting the curb and doing a superman into the dirt and grass. Bike ended up 10-15 feet away with a badly out of true back wheel. It was the kind of crash that could have been horrific and I got off lucky, wore a helmet these past two days. Kind of salty that the Egan ride succeeded in making me wear a helmet but whatever.

They slow roll between hills and I think would have dropped more than half of them but there are definitely some fast dudes. They only dropped me because as soon as the first person passed me I pulled over to the side and let everyone pass, but it was a small group that caught me at first. Also they yelled at me for passing them when they are literally going 12 MPH taking up the entire road, if you don't want me riding with you how the hell are you going to complain when cyclists have to cross the double yellow when passing. I only passed them because another cyclist went past them (forced into the wrong lane) and I decided to follow.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 06-24-21 at 06:41 PM.