Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 11-28-19, 06:33 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I have a number of tubular wheelsets with Shimano Uniglide freehubs. A couple of them are Dura Ace 6 or 7-speed ones. I also have a set that's Campagnolo Triomphe with a freewheel. Plus I have one orphan rear wheel that's a MICHE 8-speed cassette. I don't recall whether it's a MICHE hub or a Campagnolo one.

I recently mounted Hutchinson tubular tires on my Triomphe hub tubulars. I'm still trying to get a bit of a high spot out of the rear wheel.
What I'd really like to do is get a couple of pairs of rims that i could simply swap with the tubular rims on two of those wheelsets. I mean by taping the clincher rim to to the existing tubular rim and then transferring the spokes to the new rims.

Btw, one day due to absolute necessity I discovered that you CAN use a tubular tire on a clincher rim in an emergency. Just pump the tubular tire up until it's hard. I rode it to a bike shop the day after I did that and the guys there were astounded.

Cheers