Thread: Bike reflectors
View Single Post
Old 08-18-20, 02:53 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Reflectors are always a good idea. Reflective tape weighs less and can even be color matched to the bike.

I right a lot at night so I always carry a spare headlight. Cygolites can be had for as little as $40, keep one on the bars and a spare in the gear bag. Don't need to think about charge cycles that way, when the one of the bars gets low, swap it out then charge it up before putting that one in the gear bag.

In my opinion the two best safety devices you can have on a bike is a reflective safety vest and some type of powered light in the spokes. Wheel lights improve the silhouette making it clear you are a bicycle and not a reflector on a mailbox. Safety vest, not just colored jerseys, seem to change the way drivers approach a bike. Learned that during my commuting days in LA. Drivers could look me in the eye and still pull right out in front of me, but for some reason that didn't happen as often when I was wearing a vest.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 08-21-20 at 05:32 AM.