Old 11-05-21, 03:39 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I have a way of forgetting how to dress for the cold during the summer. I should consolidate the notes I've made. They are strewn throughout my Excel ride log over multiple years.

For clothing selection I've learned you have to consider the following interrelated factors:
  • Exertion level
    • Working hard generates a lot of heat
    • Amount of insulation needed is drastically different if you choose a high level exertion vs prioritize not sweating
  • Ground conditions
    • Clear ground lets you go faster easier > less exertion, more self generated wind
    • Snow on the ground makes you work harder > more exertion, less self generated wind
    • Black ice forces you to ride slower > less effort, less wind
    • Fat biking in soft snow, very high exertion and very slow speed
  • Temperature
  • Wind (speed and direction)
    • At same temperature you might freeze in one direction and bake in the other
I tend to ride hard and not stop, so I dress much lighter than someone else might in similar conditions. Ground conditions is usually what messes up my clothing selection early in the season. Below freezing with no snow on the ground I can still go pretty fast so I misjudge my base layer end up being cold. Then when it snows my exertion goes through the roof.