View Single Post
Old 01-05-22, 04:04 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
As I went for a half hour walk today,
A 50 percent chance of snow. Areas of blowing snow. Cloudy, with a high near 17. Wind chill values between -5 and zero. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph.
I thought that perhaps I should elaborate more on hands and gloves.

I assume you already know this stuff, but I am amazed at times to find out how many people don't. So, I thought some basics may be warranted. Your hands and feet are your body radiators. Your body sends excess heat to arms, legs, hands and feet. And when your body does not have excess heat, it shuts off the heat to those extremities. Thus, the old phrase, when your hands are cold put on a hat. Your body tries to maintain heat to your head and body core.

If it is in the teens or colder (F), I do not bike. If I am biking in the 20s or 30s (F), I often bring three pair of gloves along. A thin uninsulated pair, a really warm insulated pair (often use ski gloves) and a pair that is in between. Or, one of the pair might be a warm pair of mittens, it is harder to shift with mittens but I can use the brakes safely.

When I get warmed up, one of the first things that happens is my hands start to sweat. When that happens, I stop, switch to a pair of gloves that have less insulation. I do not want to get really wet sweaty gloves, especially if I might later have trouble keeping my hands warm, as a wet pair of gloves is not very warm. Thus I try to minimize the amount of sweating I do with gloves on. There have been times when I was cycling along, near freezing conditions, with no gloves on at all because I was fully warmed up and wanted to avoid getting sweat in my gloves.

There also have been times when I have my warmest gloves on and perhaps one or two fingers are almost numb from the cold, but other fingers on the same hand may be almost sweating. I do not think I have particularly bad circulation, but it happens.

I think my only advice on this is bring several pair of gloves, try to keep them dry.

If in doubt that might be a good day to avoid riding the bike. Things can go wrong and you can get injured. Above freezing (the temp you cited as 32 to 35), your skin should not freeze. But colder than that and you could freeze skin (frostbite) and have a really bad time of that.

I grew up in Minneapolis and half a century ago it got much colder than now (global warming), so I have a pretty good idea what really cold weather is like. The coldest weather that I have ever been in was minus 36 (F) on a winter camping trip in the boundary waters canoe area. Busted one of my snowshoes on that trip, major bummer. But we knew our limits on that trip and that trip was a lot shorter than originally planned. You might think weather forecasts now are bad, but back then they were REALLY bad without the computer modeling they can do now.

It used to be possible to buy overmitts that were simply wind shells with no insulation, may or may not be water proof. Many good camping stores sold them decades ago, but they now are very hard to find. A couple years ago I bought a pair of these to put over a thick pair of wool mittens for cold weather cross country skiing.
https://www.motardinn.com/motorcycle...oves/1317252/p
For that they work great. I take an XL glove or mitten and those work well over my mitts. I wore those with wool mittens for my exercise walk today in the gusts up to 40 mph and temps in the teens. I have never cycled with these over-mitts, but if for some reason I was going to go out on a really cold day, I would have those over a thick pair of wool mittens. Plus I would also bring some lighter duty ones too.

That is a foreign seller, not sure if there is a place to buy them in USA or not.

Good luck getting this figured out.