View Single Post
Old 04-19-22, 09:51 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by SBinNYC
I assume you are raising this topic with an eye to doing PBP.

I would consider the best lighting you can get, not the minimum requirement that would prevent your disqualification. If you believe that the additional weight/drag of a good lighting system stands between you and that medal, you should not try for PBP.

Let me suggest a generator system. They are bright, they are permanent, and they have on board energy storage that will keep the lights on for about 4 minutes, when stopped. I would avoid the integral hub generators and opt for a sidewall generator. The only penalty would be the generator's extra weight and drag only when the light is being used. I used a bottom bracket generator on both my PBP rides. They are no longer available, otherwise I would have suggested one. I also had battery lights front and back, in addition to the generator.

You are the best judge of your own body. I planned for 5 hours sleep per night. I did not want to fall asleep on the bike. Your two hours per night would be unrealistic for me.

If you believe that sleep deprivation would prevent you from changing batteries, what would you do in case of a flat? Your plan must be predicated on your having your wits about you for the full 1200+ km.

Just my two centimes worth.
Good points, SB! Since PBP 2015, I've installed a full generator lighting system on my brevet bike and love it. So this thread is/was mostly about backup lights, in a minimalist way.

I guess I forgot to follow up in this thread, but I did end up buying a Cygolite Dice TL. Think it'll be perfect for what I have in mind. I should hope I'd be able to change a battery or a flat at any point during a grand randonnee, I just want to eliminate any obligatory maintenance that I can.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498