Old 04-08-21, 12:08 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
A lot of people have pointed out that putting together a bike will cost more than buying a complete bike. What they neglected , is that the complete bike will also cost more than the complete bike! You see, when you buy a complete bike, you will almost always replace the seat , stem, and pedals. Maybe the handlebars. If you're replacing handlebar you'll replace the tape and most likely the cables. You might replace the tires with wider tires which are fashionable now, and these are expensive. Some people have a known preference for crank length also. Crankset. Depending on the terrain you are riding, you might want a wider range cassette. New cassette and chain.
So you see, a complete bike also costs more than its price tag. I would lean towards the build-your-own route, not because it's cheaper, but because I am getting exactly what I want.
Almost all of this only applies to a seasoned rider.

You want exactly want you want, and so do I after decades of riding. Not for a first racing bike. I am willing to bet your thought testing your first bike in a parking lot wasn’t... is this my preferred cram arm length.

Ride 5000 miles first and then tell me what you think. Or the OP’s friend can buy a half dozen cranks, handlebars, etc. to build that first bike.

John