Old 05-11-21, 04:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
As an old dude (63) who only recently resumed jogging after a 40 year hiatus, I can confirm the conventional wisdom from qualified doctors, trainers and experts that -- presuming we had no previous underlying disabilities -- there's no reason why jogging/running should inherently involve injuries or damage to joints.

I've experienced a few aches and pains since resuming jogging last November. Especially since February when I ramped up my speed and effort after spending several weeks building up a base fitness. But every ache in the knees, hips and ankles was due to poor running form, failing to work on my exercises to warm up and strengthen my body, and neglecting to follow a sensible training program.

For example, I set an arbitrary and unwise goal of running a half-marathon before summer. I had to bail out after 7-8 miles the first few tries. And after a successful 10 miler, I ended up with injuries. It was a stupid goal for someone my age without at least a year of building up a base fitness very carefully.

So I'm back to 5k and shorter runs for now, intermittent running/walking some days, very leisurely consistent jogging other days, and sometimes just walking 5 miles or so, no jogging or running. I had to disregard that cutoff point of 10 minutes per mile that most runners use to differentiate between running and jogging. I've settled back into the groove of jogging at an effort I can maintain without injury, even if it's barely faster than a brisk walking pace. And, on days when I do push to run faster, I'm learning to slow down as soon as my form degrades. So rather than pushing a continuous 7 or 8 minute/mile pace for three miles, I'll run that pace for half a mile, then slow to a jog or walk until my form recovers, then pick up the pace again.

I just had to accept the reality that I was pushing too hard, too soon, and disregarding the fact that I was consciously pushing myself after my running form had degraded.

IOW, not much different from my experiences in 2015 when I resumed cycling after a 30 year hiatus. I was anxious to regain fitness quickly and didn't make allowances for the reality that I'm not in my 20s.

I've had few aches and pains from cycling (other than crashes) simply because I follow a more sensible training program and learned not to push myself to the point of injury. Not because it's inherently less damaging to the body.

It's just as easy to damage the body with cycling if we ignore bike fit, ergonomics, good form, and a sensible approach to training. But in reality most cyclists don't pedal 100% effort continuously for any distance. We vary between hard pedaling, soft pedaling and coasting when the legs and lungs need a rest. There's no real equivalent to coasting in running, although walking comes close.
Likes For canklecat: