View Single Post
Old 07-29-20, 06:45 PM
Retfor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
If you're going 30mph are you riding in traffic? Most urban areas restrict pathways/lanes to 20mph. I would not want someone zinging past me in a bike lane going 30 mph. Not sure I'd be open to riding in traffic going 30mph, though, because drivers will assume you are slower than that and turn in front of you thinking they have plenty of time. 30mph is moped speed. You should take the space of an auto on the road - seems like there should be some easily and quickly identifiable system to let cars know you're basically a slow 2 wheeled car instead of a bike (or class limited e-bike).
oh, yeah, definitely. i used to have a slower ebike and rode next to traffic and got doored. luckily i was ok, but i said screw the law, im doing whats safe for ME. which is to get a faster ebike that can ride IN traffic. the limit around here is 25, although depending on the street people often go 30+, so its good to be able to keep up with that if needed. theres one street that goes up to a 35 limit. i didnt realize the first time i rode it, but was just keeping up with everyone, then i looked down and saw my speed. im definitely very wary of people pulling out in front of me assuming im slower, though, and almost always assume they will until i see otherwise.

a way to identify ebikes as faster then normal bikes would be good.

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Yep always need to travel a speed safe for the conditions. My ebike easily cruises closer to 40 mph when I need it to. Don't do that on mixed used trails, too many dogs and kids. The motor can make you a safer rider since not as big a deal to come to a near stop if conditions warrant.

With that said I've had guys on the same trails pass my ebike on their electric skateboards like I was standing still. Those things seem insane to me, one acorn and they are airborne.
yeah, those things are insane. way too easy to take a spill with those teeny tiny wheels.
Likes For Retfor: