View Single Post
Old 02-26-12, 05:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCXFK...En_PcY4VLuZMgh

Explains why nipple and thread behavior need to be tested as part of ERD and spoke length calculation. ..... just ask the provider you will order from to test for you and tell you where their spokes end up in their nipples.
Not rocket science, just precaution.

=8-)
+1 one of my long term pet peeves about spokes and nipples is that thread length specs. are so hard to find. The thread lengths of both the spoke and nipple are critical info because that determines the maximum final spoke height. Over the years I've seen mixed brand combinations so poor that the thread would bottom out before the spoke was halfway into the nipples head.

I used to ask for this information, as in "what is the thread length of your 12mm nipple?" and get answers like 12mm (wrong), or be treated like I was from another planet, or my favorite answer "standard. why does it matter?"

This is one of the reasons I suggest staying with spokes and nipples you're familiar with, and likewise always using the same spoke length calculator. The subtleties of the small unpublished variations gives builders, who stay with proven and familiar stuff, a home field advantage.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.