Old 03-28-20, 10:50 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ahill
I picked it up on Amazon, I was just browsing out of curiosity to see what they may have and came across it. They do not carry many legitimate bike brands but found this one. amazon insider tip, you can find really good deals there 95% of the items are just boxes that get nicked up during normal handling and amazon discounts them and sells them... On a side note, how much assembly/tune/adjusting does a bike require?? I am a BMW technician, so i know i can build it properly but sometimes the fine tuning of it if required, may need more of a professional to this field?
I assume you've had a car engine apart with the camshaft and heads off. Any bike even at the high end is way-simple compared to that. Adjustments are made by eye and "feel" not with measuring tools. But with these new bikes there are some thing to know and special tools for replacing things like bearing that are press-fit into the carbon frame. And you'd want to know like to use some special "carbon assembly grease" for the seat post. Even if a special tool is needed they are cheap compared to what you'd need for a BMW. Like $15 for a US made crank arm puller.

Bikes are easy to work on if you have a stand you never have to bend or reach and all the parts are easy to access

Before you do something like adjust a derailer go to https://www.parktool.com and click "fix it" or if you just want to learn about bike machanic go there now. You might not know how to take a chain apart and reassemble it but when you se the guy at Parktools do it once you see that it is easy. Same with how in the world does this casset come off, then you see and it is really easy. It is all like that, not much skill needed but you have to see the "trick" once

You will likely want to buy a work stand as that is useful even for simple things like cleaning the bike and chain. In reality, you can go 500+ miles before you need to touch the bike but I like to make sure the bike's drivetrain always literally passes the white glove test. This means weekly cleaning and a wipe after every ride.

If you are into mechanics you will just want to stay ahead or do things like a swap that factory galvanized steel cables for teflon coats stainless just because you can. This means a full and complete brake and derailer adjustment -- watch the how-to at Park Tools.

Every threaded part gets eiher grease, anti-sieze or loc-tight on the threads and then torqed with a torque wrench (or your calibrated wrist)

Also, beware on bikes left-hand threads are common. You can break stuff by not knowing.