buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
This looks like a good project.

I think that bronze brazing the canti bosses will be better than silver brazing. There are a few people that hang out on C&V that are frame builders, so I hope that they can give you a more experienced opinion. If not, post the question under Framebuilding.

One of the things that I am looking into for frame modifications is the use of propane - oxygen. It gets hot enough to braze. Propane is widely available and the oxygen can be had from a used oxygen concentrator that are sometime sold on Craigslist.
Thanks!
I've bookmarked / re-reading through a number of older posts on the silver vs. bronze discussion. I've played around with MAPP/air trying to get bronze to flow, and for me it's a no-go. I've seen some Harbor Freight kits with propane / O2 (harbor freight.... what could go wrong with pressurized tanks and open flames......? )
Probably I'll give the silver brazing with MAPP/air a try, and if I give myself a vote of NO CONFIDENCE, I'll see what my options are. (like taking the thing to a pro to do vs. the costs of a torch head and other equipment).