Old 07-23-22, 09:56 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Yes, it was an interesting experience. That was the first Ragbrai (it wasn't called Ragbrai until the 2nd year). Donald Kaul lived in DC, so probably easier to get a Masi there, though I'm not sure where he got it.
I remember riding with him going into Des Moines as well. Downtown, on the way to the Register's HQ, we came to a red light, and I looked over and saw him grab a girl's shoulder. He was wearing cleated shoes and couldn't get his feet out of the pedals, so grabbed her shoulder to keep from falling over until he could get a foot out. Must not have gotten a toe strap loosened in time.
As for bikes, there was at least one Paramount, etc. that I saw on the ride. I went with a friend (we were from Cedar Falls) that decided this sounded like fun, so we did it and rode the whole thing, with motel rooms every stop. There was a maximum of about 500 on the ride at its most crowded, but normally around 300 on any given day. A far cry from the thousands on it today. I never rode another one, but still have my patch from that one.
Likes For Pars: