Old 07-25-22, 11:29 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
I have my own experience with compression garment, how applicable depends - it was at very high altitude, so I won;t re-tell.
But as to actual muscle recovery, most of the 'articles' are just regurge of other articles which are just hearsey/anecdotal - from what I've found.
If anyone has a real study which is more than pronouncements from 'users', I'd love to read.
It's certainly hit or miss for Edema sufferers. nothing conclusive. But if it seems to work, knock yourself out.
Temporary Edema can be due to a number of factors, some of which are related to running, not cycling. But good info to read.
A good 'cool down' portion at the end of most every ride is a strong method to prevent edema, some Lactic buildup, and allow the vasal dilation to recede before you stop activity.
Ending a hard ride abruptly and doing nothing is the worst thing.
Massage does work for muscle recovery and will help with Edema and vasal dilation.
If you can;t 'get' a massage, the given a massage - to yourself. Huge for recovery.
One 'Rub' (yeah, intended... LOL!) is to make sure whomever does the 'rubbing' does ALL stroke pressure either across the muscle OR in the direction of blood flow back to the heart.
Massage affects venous flow more than arterial. Veins all have valves. If you 'back pressure' the blood in veins, you stand a HIGH risk of damaging the valves - resulting in varicose veins and flow problems...
STROKE and Pressure in massage - always towards the heart ! This is true whether you use your hands or some device, like a roller. I see people using rollers on their thighs and calves, pushing hard, towards the lower legs and feet - makes me cringe ! Don't be that person. Big NO to Trailrunnermag online
Percussive techniques or devices generally don;t pose those problems
Self massage - easy to learn - but be discerning on some online sources (I'll do some reading and viewing to see which might be ok - and post to a thread in 'Training & Nut' when I find some good sources).
Not just for legs, great for feet, hands, arms myofacial/skull, neck and shoulders...
15-20 min on the legs, after some hard riding, will make a huge difference in recovery.
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: If you do check out sources, some techniques may apply and some may not - Just run through the Big Check - Is it pressuring TOWARDS or AWAY from the heart ? IF AWAY, completely ignore that technique...

Last edited by cyclezen; 07-25-22 at 11:39 PM.