Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Originally Posted by roadie276
Which version of Di2? I have the combo front/rear display widget thing on my Garmin Edge 530, and I never installed E-tube on my phone, and never configured any gears anywhere (just paired the Di2 levers with the trip computer). This is on Ultegra 8200 Di2. I also notice that before the computer's found the shifters, it shows a placeholder thing that doesn't say how many gears it has. Pretty sure this means the info must be coming over on the fly? Dunno about vagaries of previous versions of things, firmware, etc, though.
Doesn't matter what version of Di2 for the issue of the OP.

Yes the info about gears and such is reported to the Garmin or other device through the wireless connection of Di2. eTube isn't needed if the settings match. But I suppose if you built out your own Di2 bike and used the junction box to set all the required adjustments, then the defaults might not match at all.

On the Garmin device and others, it might just show placeholders for things until the Di2 on the bike is woke up each time. Don't know for certain. Might be something to check out just for ***** and grins.

Pretty much no vagaries of previous versions or things, firmware, etc. They all pretty much worked the same and provided that info through the wireless interface to devices capable of displaying it.