View Single Post
Old 09-17-22, 05:45 AM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Nervous_Jerboa
Hi all, about 8 months ago I replaced my car with a vintage road bike and it's been a blast. What started as about a 2 mile daily commute is now closer to 20 miles a day, mostly through Boston and Cambridge. Against the advice of several forum members I did go with a 70s Raleigh Sprite 27. It's not perfect, and I was off to a rough start getting it going, but the price was right, it looks great and most importantly it actually fits my ridiculous body.

Prior to this, I hadn't touched a bike in almost 20 years. I still have a long way to go as far as conditioning, but I feel like I could use higher gearing. The small chain ring hasn't been touched, and I rarely drop below the 3 highest gears. On straights and especially descents I feel like the bike just tops out way too early. So I went on ebay and found a 52t to replace the 49t large chain ring, as well as a Suntour Winner 13-22 freewheel. I believe the Raleigh currently has the original 14-34 freewheel installed, and 49/40 in the front. Is this too drastic a jump? Am I about to render my only means of transportation unusable? I will at the very least probably have to get my front derailleur working with this setup.

On a sort of related note, how much chain slippage would be considered normal when climbing/pedaling hard on the higher gears? I don't think I could consider myself to be a particularly strong rider, so I'm inclined to believe this is down to a combination of bad technique and the condition of the bike when I bought it, plus drivetrain damage sustained early on when I really had no clue what I was doing. The chain does seem to skip a lot, though, and I can't really put much force into the highest couple of gears unless I'm on totally flat or downhill terrain. I should probably just downshift and pedal faster, but that just feels much less natural to me.

Thanks in advance for any insights
Not sure what your budgets are and if your bike allows it, upgraded my gears to 11-42t on the back and 40/24t on the front. All works smooth, even the scariest hills are easy now.