RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
My observations say yes, lower air pressures allow for more tire/tube squirm and potential abrasion. Just look at tires that have been ridden w/ too little pressure and see the cocked over valve as the tire tries to move rotationally on the rim and the tube valve is trapped in the valve hole. When one takes a low pressure ridden tire there will often be abrasion scuff marks on the tube sides with rubber dust collecting inside the tire. Andy
I went through and patched (vulcanized) my backlog of flatted Krampus tubes last night, and saw twice that there were paired snakebites, but off-center. One had a snakebite like 1mm from the centerline, which proves the tube was rotated inside the tire.

wrt _ForceD_ and mdarnton mentioning seams, I was worried about that one, I sanded really hard to try to eliminate the seam, and also tried to shave it down with a razor. I was never really satisfied with the seam being completely gone, so I just put that patch on there and hoped for the vulcanizing to do its chemical magic and shift those rubber molecules around, close up any avenue for air to escape along the seam. And then clamp the patch for a few minutes. I have some vise grips with pivoting flat plates for jaws, works great for clamping tubes!

(like this, but I found mine on the road. So less than this optimistic eBay seller is asking...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33425840348...3A1%3Bchoc%3A2

Last edited by RubeRad; 09-28-22 at 11:40 AM.