Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
You attributed a quote to me that I didn't write.
I apologize. It's now corrected.

From what I hear, they are increasing the field enough that you don't have to do any prequalifying this year. It's just to get a better starting time. Depending on how fast you are, you might want to start on Monday.
Or I could just choose my starting time with complete freedom, which is much more appealing.

350km a day actually would put you behind the field, which usually gets to Loudeac, 440km, in the first 24 hours. A fairly large cohort gets back to Loudeac from Brest in 24 hours.
350 km was just a rough average estimate. I actually want to also use the event to achieve another goal of riding 500 km in 24 hours, my best before has been 470 km (riding solo), but that wouldn't necessarily be on Day 1. In the self-supported races that I've done, I've taken it easier than others the first couple of days and not pushed myself until later in the event.

I think you might want to ride it some other time than the actual event. I think before would be better, because everybody gets sick of us.
I've already ridden around Brittany on a tandem tour with my wife and I've ridden Paris-St Malo in one stint to catch a ferry, so the route won't be that novel for me and is not my focus; it's the roadside atmosphere that will make it special and that won't be there at any other time.

Tbh, the food at the controls might not be a problem, because you pay for it. OTOH, France is shut down at the time of the ride so there may be places open for the ride that aren't open at any other time.
As I said, I'm totally used to riding in France, at all times of year. A few bakeries and small restaurants might be closed for the summer break, but most of the resupply places I normally use (large grocery stores, McDonald's, etc.) don't close and keep their regular hours. In fact, France is often a lot easier than my home country of Switzerland, which has far more limited opening hours. I have absolutely ZERO concerns about finding food outside of the controls, I've ridden self-supported in most corners of Europe and managed to survive fine.

Last edited by Chris_W; 09-30-22 at 01:53 AM.